Sunday, April 5, 2009

Preparations for Pesach and no-knead pitas

Preparations for Pesach continue, and I'm now reconciled to the fact that I'm not going to complete everything, or even nearly everything, on my to-do list. But at least I'm fairly confident that the house will be chametz-free. We got rid of nearly all our chametz already. This past Friday, we've used up our last package of flour making no-knead pita bread.

While I was recovering from giving birth, one of our neighbours showed up carrying trays laden with hot homemade food, including the most delicious pita bread I've ever tasted. Of course, I wouldn't rest until I got the recipe. I apologize for not having any pictures to show along with it (Friday was too busy to get hold of our camera), but here it is:

1 kg flour (any kind) [edited for my American readers: that's about 8 cups]
2 tbsp. dry yeast (we used fresh anyway)
4 tbsp. sugar
1.5 tbsp. salt
1/2 cup oil
approx. 4 cups water (room temperature)

Mix all ingredients. The dough should be almost liquid.
Let rise for half an hour, mix again and let rise for a second time.

With wet hands, take handfuls of the dough and place in baking tray, leaving generous spaces between the pitas. Sprinkle with sesame seeds or any other topping you like. Bake until nice and golden (took us about 20 minutes at 180 C).

This makes about 20 pitas (depending on the size of your baking tray), which are usually consumed very quickly. I hope you enjoy this recipe when you need some quick bread.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anna, would you translate kilos into cups. I could maybe translate it into pounds, but I measure in cups. Thanks - we're eager to try this.
Mrs. L.

Mamaclsn said...

Thank you. I love new bread recipes!

Your posts are always very thoughtful and thought provoking. I enjoy them very much.

Blessings~

Persuaded said...

honey, your list was so ambitious i can't imagine *anyone* being able to complete it all with a new babe in the family♥

it sounds like you established your priority tasks and got those done which is very good household management. congratulations, dear!

now, a question about your recipe from an ignorant american. *blush* would you have any idea how much 1kg flour would be in cups? thanks hon☺

Rose said...

Such a simple recipe! Thank you Anna, I will enjoy trying this. Regards, Rose

Ways of Zion said...

Thank you so much for sharing, we will be making these this week I can be sure of that!

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed....pitas are delicious, aren't they? :o) I have not made any in a while. Your recipe is a good reminder to get a batch made up!

Brenda

MamaOlive said...

Happy Pesach, Anna.
We've just been reading about the original pass-over in Exodus. God is awesome in His power to save!

jen said...

Hi Anna-
Hope all is well with you. I am here in Canada.

I was listening to the radoi the other day (satillite) on the world channel and Israel radio's program was on. It had some very nice music. I pictured you and your family in your home doing peaceful home things. Hope this is what is happening for you. I was doing the same here in Canada-

All the Best-
Jennifer

Brianna said...

This sounds delicious, and I plan to make them. Do they produce flat pitas or the kind that have a pocket in the middle to fill with things?

Ganeida said...

I have been doing some study on Pesach recently as it relates to our Easter. I know where to come if I get stuck & have questions. :)

We like pitta so I can see us trying this recipe.

Anonymous said...

Anna, I have enjoyed reading your posts (and comments) for quite some time. You have been a blessing to me and to my family in many ways. Thank you.

I had a question about your note on 'fresh' yeast vs. dried in the pita recipe. What did you mean? I've cooked with sourdough starter- is that the same thing? I've also read of 'cake' yeast... I believe it is a moist yeast compressed into a 'cake' form... but it isn't readily available to me, so I've never used it. Just curious to learn what I can of various ways to prepare food. Thank you for your time-
Janine

Canadian said...

Don't the handfuls of dough have to be rolled out thinly into round shapes? This is done in the other (not no-knead) pita recipes I have seen. Thanks!